Monday, June 05, 2006

the middle of the end

So last Friday morning I attended my last ISŠTE classes' graduation ceremonies. ISŠTE holds these ceremonies in Sokolov's very own castle (which has been painted pink for some reason, but it works) in a room normally used for weddings. Only one class-worth of students and parents can fit into the room at any given time, so all together I attended five ceremonies over two Fridays. Actually, I really like the intimate feel that doing it like this provides, nobody getting lost in a long line of every graduating student in the school.

And it fits in other ways too, namely that graduation isn't as big a deal here as it is in the States. All the big pomp and circumstance happens at the ples (the big midwinter "prom" dance). These graduation ceremonies mostly involve the handing out of final grade reports, a few short good-bye speeches by the principal and the class teacher, and lots of pictures.

So if giving finals last April was the beginning of the end, the end of maturitas and the last good-bye of my graduates is the middle of the end. And now that June is upon us, the official countdown has 20 school days left and 25 days until I board a flight back to California.

This week: the second round of final exams, another week of good-byes (some of them last good-byes), and lots more packing and grading and closing up of another year.

4.PV - Management and Law students. I taught the x half ("my girls") for two years and inherited the y half from my teammate last year.


4.TL - Technical Lyceum students. I taught the x half for two years (they sat through the first lesson I ever taught as a professional teacher, and I'm not sure who was more nervous) and inherited the y half this year.

4.PE - Electrotechnical students. I taught the x half of this class (the one that studies English instead of German) this year. This class once tried to electrocute me for fun.

4.PM - Management and Accounting students. I taught the m half of this class for two years and taught the v half this year.

4.PD - Automechanics students. I taught the English-learning half of this class this year. Maybe on average their English was among the lowest in the fourth form, but nobody ever matched these boys for enthusiasm.

3 Comments:

At 7/6/06 09:44, Blogger James said...

Tried to electrocute you for fun eh? Now that's gotta be a story worth telling. I look forward to seeing you on the 24th of July my friend.

 
At 8/6/06 18:41, Anonymous demin woman said...

Hey, I caught the electrocution thing as did James. I did NOT hear that story either. Thought they'd send you home as a "crispy critter" did they. Humm

 
At 9/6/06 18:54, Anonymous Peta said...

hey Joel!!

I'm totally dead after two extremely busy weeks, but here's the updates about Colorado.
Mike gave me the recommendation letter, which, I must say, is really a great help for me.

During the past 2 weeks, I've been taking a lot of tests and I'm hoping that my grades will be good enough. the Test-Taking marathon is over, just a few more tests are left. I hope they'll be easy.
I myself need to work on the letter to my future host-family, I've tried to write one, but don't think it's good enough. But the most scary thing of all is the letter from my parents to my future host family. Oh, God be with me.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll give you more updates soon. So far, I have a hope. I'm sorry I wasn't able to read your blog recently, I'll be better soon, I promise. I hope you're doing well. God bless you and Chrissy!!

take care,
Peta

 

Post a Comment

<< Home